The Army of Heilmann

The other day, as I was checking out at the grocery store, the sad story of Salena Gomez' personal trials was plastered all over the magazine racks.  Now, whether or not the stories are true (let's hope they are not), it got me thinking.

"What would lead a young person in Hollywood down such a self-destructive path?"

My inspiration?  Lack of allegiance.

You may have heard the saying:

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
-attributed to Alex Hamilton and others 

I believe that any person, young or old, must have first an allegiance to God, and second, an allegiance to self.  

We all must know who we are and what we stand for....or like the quote says...we will fall for anything.  

We can't decide at the 'eleventh hour' what our choice will be.  We must be firm in our beliefs to KNOW what we stand for so that when faced with a choice, we will KNOW what path to take.  

If you were in a debate, you would need to know all the facets of the side you were defending so when asked to defend it....you could!  You will most certainly lose if you do NOT have an answer.  You also may be swayed to your opponents side, because after-all, you are not totally certain of your own anymore, are you?

 This led me to the thought that perhaps I am not totally allegiant to myself and if I am not, then how can my children be?  This matter needed further study.

So, I decided to take the inspiration and start working on it.  

Since it was Family Night, I found a GREAT resource in starting our quest for allegiance.  



We, as a family, had a great discussion and my littles (9 and 11) had some good personal insights!

Part of the lesson plan was an activity to make a standard.  We made ours and together we came up with the motto:

Army of Heilmann
True to our God, Ourselves, and Each Other

We most certainly have a long way to go personally and as a family...but we are prepared to "stand up and lead out!"

I encourage you to do the same.






Comments

nAnnie Laurie said…
I'm so proud of you all and I love you with all my heart ... you are mine <3 <3
PapaOgden said…
I like this very much. I am proud of you all. Love, Dad
Jeni said…
Stand up and lead out, huh? I love it!!!

Popular Posts